Working in HR can be challenging, particularly when dealing with people and the ever changing employment law landscape. However, we can truly say that there is never a dull moment and no one day is ever the same.
Based on our experience of being on the ground, we thought we would share a couple of our pearls of wisdom for effectively managing HR:
- Ensure you know your stuff – employees (particularly difficult employees) will often know their statutory rights. Make sure that before meeting an employee, you know your organisation’s policies and procedures, and the legalities.
- Expect the unexpected – remember you are dealing with people and emotions. Never go into a meeting without a plan A and a fall-back position of plan B. Preparation is the key to HR.
- Prepare to be the bad guy – as a manager there will be times when you have to deliver hard messages. Whilst this may be uncomfortable, it is important that you are honest and transparent with staff. Avoiding the topic of discussion will not move matters forward and can lead to further issues.
- Consistency is the key but remember to treat employees as individuals. Successful management of HR is to ensure that you are consistent in applying your policies, procedures and HR practice. However, don’t forget that you are dealing with individuals and there are situations where you may have to depart from a process to manage an employee’s personal situation.
- If something doesn’t seem right with your employee, usually it’s not – there are occasions when an employee doesn’t seem their usual self but you cannot put your finger on it. Holding a welfare meeting is a great way of having a discussion with an employee to check on their wellbeing and offer support.
If you need any help with any of the points above, just get in touch with your HR Advisor or call one of the team on 01924 827869. You may also be interested in our Key Skills training course, which starts on 17th January, click here for more information.