A quick and easy recipe, which if prepared methodically alongside a pouring of sensitivity can provide comfort for all!
Ingredients and Preparation
1 x Healthy and Safety Policy – which demonstrate the school’s commitment to health and safety
1 x Health and Safety Management System
1 x Annual H&S Audit
1 x Fire Risk Assessment
A number of risk assessments to cover all risk exposures
1 x Critical Incident Plan
1 x Health and Safety Competent Person
1 x Health and Safety Handbook for each employee
1 x Six-monthly check up
1. Ensure your organisation, at all levels including the governing body, receives competent health and safety advice and guidance;
2. Ensure all staff and governors are sufficiently trained and competent in their health and safety responsibilities;
3. Consult properly on health and safety matters with relevant parties including governors, staff, unions, pupils, parents and contractors;
4. Ensure key people with responsibility for assessing risks have completed the risk assessment training;
5. Assess risks and ensure sensible control measures are established and documented;
6. Check out what’s happening on the ground;
7. Diarise for your governors to receive regular health and safety information, eg performance data and reports on injuries and work-related ill health;
8. Benchmark your performance with others in your sector;
9. Make arrangements for appropriate leadership and governing body representative to review health and safety.
The “Sensible” taste test: When baked……
• the members of the school leadership team understand the safety policy and apply it practically to the real risks in the school;
• all key staff (including volunteers) have clearly established roles and responsibilities;
• paperwork is kept to a minimum with the significant hazards identified, their risks adequately controlled and precautions clearly documented where needed;
• school leaders consult with staff including employee / trade union safety representatives – looking for practical solutions to health and safety issues;
• learning is enabled by making proportionate decisions.
Tastes even nicer when outsourced!! Let us take the responsibility off your shoulders. We can help with health and safety services on an indvidual or SLA basis making sure your requirements are baked to perfection! Contact your HR Advisor or call one of the team on 01924 827869.